Bruce’s Winterland-78 concert is by many fans & “concert tape collectors” regarded as one of his best shows ever… It is indeed a cornerstone in any collection of concert bootlegs (regardless of artist). Number 2 on my list (Egil) of the best Springsteen’s concerts I’ve heard. It is now selling as a “semi official” release at amazon.co.uk.
“LEGENDARY 1978 BRUCE SPRINGSTEEN BROADCAST Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band’s Darkness Tour opened on May 23rd 1978 a week prior to the release of the album it was supporting in the United States. Kicking off at Shea s Theatre in Buffalo, upstate New York, the tour ran continuously until 1st January 1979 when it concluded at Richfield Township in Ohio. The tour has since become viewed as perhaps Springsteen’s best in a storied career of concert performances. Biographer Dave Marsh wrote in 1987, “The screaming intensity of those ’78 shows are part of rock and roll legend in the same way as Dylan’s 1966 shows with the Band, the Rolling Stones’ tours of 1969 and 1972, and the Who’s Tommy tour of 1969: benchmarks of an era.” Whereas the previous Born to Run tour established Springsteen as one of the top live acts, the Darkness tour blew everything else away, delivering some of his best performances and most legendary full-length concerts, and making him the ‘must-see’ musician of his generation. This 3 CD set contains the best quality recording of the legendary Winterland broadcast, performed at the renowned San Francisco venue on 15th December, just two weeks before the whole tour wrapped up for good. “Tonight you re gonna hear the concert of your life , the radio announcer at KSAN stated to those listening in. He wasn t wrong, and now, some 35 years later, this very same show is available for everybody to either re-live or enjoy for the first time.”
Here is a BRILLIANT – Prove It All Night:
Racing In The Street:
FM Broadcast (KSAN radio) and soundboard tapes – this is a master reel recording and includes three tracks not broadcast. What can you say! The versions of “The Promised Land” and “Prove It All Night” are exceptional and “Backstreets” is better than that. Probably the most famous show Bruce will ever do. It should be noted that the source tape appears to run slightly slow. Released on CD ‘Live At Winterland’ (Golden Stars), ‘Live In The Promised Land’ (Great Dane Records), ‘Winterland Night’ (Crystal Cat) and most recently (and in best quality) on CDR ‘Prodigal Son at Winterland – 25th Anniversary Remaster’ (Prodigal Son). This is a remaster of ‘Winterland Night’.
Darkness On The Edge Of Town:
- Streets of Fire
- Spirit in the Night
- Darkness on the Edge of Town
- The Promised Land
- Prove It All Night
- Racing in the Street
- Thunder Road
- The Ties That Bind
- Santa Claus Is Coming to Town (J. Fred Coots & Haven Gillespie cover)
- The Fever
- Candy’s Room
- Because the Night
- Point Blank
- Mona / Preacher’s Daughter / She’s The One / I Get Mad
- Rosalita (Come Out Tonight)Encore:
- Born to Run
- Detroit Medley
- Tenth Avenue Freeze-Out
- Raise Your Hand (Eddie Floyd cover)
- Quarter to Three
The Promised Land:
Santa Claus is Coming To Town:
Other December 15:
- Paul Gustave Simonon (born 15 December 1955) is an English musician and artist best known as the bass guitarist for punk rock band The Clash. More recent work includes his involvement in the project The Good, the Bad & the Queen in 2007 with Damon Albarn, Simon Tong and Tony Allen and the Gorillaz album, Plastic Beach in 2010, which along with Albarn saw him reunite with Mick Jones.
- Ray Price died one year ago today.
- The Who Sell Out is the third album by English rock band The Who, released in 1967 by Track Records in the UK and Decca Records in the US. It is a concept album, formatted as a collection of unrelated songs interspersed with fauxcommercials and public service announcements. The album purports to be a broadcast by pirate radio station Radio London. Part of the intended irony of the title was that the Who were making commercials during that period of their career, some of which are included as bonus tracks on the remastered CD.
Released 15 December 1967 Recorded May – November 1967, Talentmasters Studios, New York City, New York
IBC Studios, Pye Studios, De Lane Lea Studios, CBS Studios, and Kingsway Studios, London, England
Gold Star Studios, Los Angeles, California
Genre Psychedelic rock, power pop, art rock, psychedelic pop, hard rock,progressive rock Length 38:46 Language English Label Track, Decca Producer Kit Lambert
-Egil & Hallgeir