The Year 1965 summary
- The first US combat troops arrive in Vietnam. By the end of the year, 190,000 American soldiers are in Vietnam.
- Rhodesia unilaterally declares its independence from Britain
- Rev. Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr., and more than 2,600 others arrested in Selma, Ala., during demonstrations against voter-registration rules
- Malcolm X, black-nationalist leader, shot to death at Harlem rally
- Blacks riot for six days in Watts section of Los Angeles: 34 dead, over 1,000 injured, nearly 4,000 arrested
- Movies: Dr. Zhivago, The Sound of Music
Deaths: Winston Churchill, Nat King Cole & T.S. Eliot
- Only one song per artist/group
- The song must be released that specific year
- Songs from live albums not allowed
- Restricted to only 20 songs
20 songs you must hear from 1965
Continue reading “1965: 20 songs released in 1965 you must hear”
Jazz is a white term to define black people. My music is black classical music.
Once I understood Bach’s music, I wanted to be a concert pianist. Bach made me dedicate my life to music, and it was that teacher who introduced me to his world.
Nina Simone was one of the most gifted vocalists of her generation, and also one of the most eclectic.
~Mark Deming (allmusic.com)
Ain’t Got No…I’ve Got Life:
Continue reading “Feb 21: Nina Simone was born in 1933”
Langston left us about a year ago.
Before he died made me promise to sing this song wherever I went, I told him that I would because he wouldn’t be around to say it anymore
Backlash Blues is the 6th track on one of my favourite albums, Nina Simone’s Nina Simone Sings The Blues.
This was Simone’s first album for RCA Records after previously recording for Colpix Records and Philips Records. The album was also reissued in 2006 with bonus tracks, and re-packaged in 1991 by RCA/Novus as a 17-track compilation under the title The Blues.
Nina Simone Sings the Blues is a classic record that will stand the test of time; it is a true classic. The best version, in my not so humble opinion, is on the album Forever Young, Gifted and Black: Songs of Freedom And Spirit, a fabulous compilation released in 2006.
Continue reading “Great Song: Nina Simone – Backlash Blues”
Love & Mercy
Director: Bill Pohlad
In the 1960s, Beach Boys leader Brian Wilson struggles with emerging psychosis as he attempts to craft his avant-garde pop masterpiece. In the 1980s, he is a broken, confused man under the 24-hour watch of shady therapist Dr. Eugene Landy.
And, yes, it feels like we’re in the studio with Brian Wilson!
Continue reading “The 5 Best Music Films 2015”