The Year 1965 summary
- The first US combat troops arrive in Vietnam. By the end of the year, 190,000 American soldiers are in Vietnam.
- Rhodesia unilaterally declares its independence from Britain
- Rev. Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr., and more than 2,600 others arrested in Selma, Ala., during demonstrations against voter-registration rules
- Malcolm X, black-nationalist leader, shot to death at Harlem rally
- Blacks riot for six days in Watts section of Los Angeles: 34 dead, over 1,000 injured, nearly 4,000 arrested
- Movies: Dr. Zhivago, The Sound of Music
Deaths: Winston Churchill, Nat King Cole & T.S. Eliot
- Only one song per artist/group
- The song must be released that specific year
- Songs from live albums not allowed
- Restricted to only 20 songs
20 songs you must hear from 1965
Continue reading “1965: 20 Songs Released in 1965 You Must Hear”
July 13: Roger McGuinn was born in 1942 – Happy Birthday
James Roger McGuinn (born James Joseph McGuinn III on July 13, 1942) known professionally as Roger McGuinn and previously as Jim McGuinn, is an American singer-songwriter and guitarist. He is best known for being the lead singer and lead guitarist on many of The Byrds‘ records. He is a member of the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame for his work with The Byrds.
The Byrds were an American rock band, formed in Los Angeles, California in 1964. The band underwent multiple line-up changes throughout its existence, with frontman Roger McGuinn (aka Jim McGuinn) remaining the sole consistent member until the group disbanded in 1973.
Continue reading “July 13: Happy 74th Birthday Roger McGuinn”
Christopher “Chris” Hillman (born December 4, 1944 in Los Angeles, California) is an American musician. He was one of the original members of The Byrds, which in 1965 included Roger McGuinn, Gene Clark, David Crosby and Michael Clarke. With frequent collaborator Gram Parsons, Hillman was a key figure in the development of country rock, defining the genre through his work with The Byrds, The Flying Burrito Brothers, Manassas and the country-rock group Desert Rose Band.
Continue reading “Dec 4: Chris Hillman was born in 1944”