In 1975 Dylan played:
- March 23 – Kezar Stadium, Golden Gate Park, San Francisco – S.N.A.C.K. Benefit
(With Neil Young)
- July 3 – Other End, New York City (only 3 songs)
- September 10 – WTTW-TV Studios, Chicago – The World Of John Hammond (TV) (3 songs)
- October 24 – Gerde’s Folk City, New York City – Mike Porco’s Birthday Party (1 song)
The real tour – Rolling Thunder Revue (part 1) – startet on October 30 at the War Memorial Auditorium in Plymouth, Massachusetts.
The dramatic finale of the tour took place on December 8 in Madison Square Garden, where, to an audience of 14,000, Dylan performed a benefit concert for imprisoned boxer and Dylan’s latest cause, Rubin Carter. The concert was titled “The Night of The Hurricane,” in reference to Dylan’s song, “Hurricane”, which was released in November 1975. Among those appearing on stage were Muhammad Ali and Coretta Scott King, wife of slain civil rights activist, Martin Luther King Jr..
25 concert in the autumn of 1975.
Continue reading “Bob Dylan: 5 Brilliant live performances from the year 1975”
The Year 1976 summary
- Khmer Rouge leader Pol Pot becomes prime minister (and virtual dictator) of Cambodia after Prince Sihanouk steps down (April 2).
- Israeli airborne commandos attack Uganda’s Entebbe Airport and free 103 hostages held by pro-Palestinian hijackers of Air France plane; one Israeli and several Ugandan soldiers killed in raid (July 4).
- 19-month civil war ends in Lebanon after threatening to escalate to global level (Nov.).
- US: US Supreme Court rules that blacks and other minorities are entitled to retroactive job seniority (March 24).
- US: US Supreme Court rules that death penalty is not inherently cruel or unusual and is a constitutionally acceptable form of punishment (July 3).
- US: Jimmy Carter elected US President (Nov. 2).
- Movies: Rocky, Taxi Driver, Network, All the President’s Men
- Deaths: Agatha Christie, Andre Malraux
- Only one song per artist/group
- The song must be released that specific year
- Songs from live albums not allowed
- Restricted to only 20 songs
As usual.. a lot of wonderful music was released in 1976, again hard to pick only 20.